When the children need break from all that chocolate give them a healthy treat they will love just as much with these organic Carrot & Oat biscuits recipe from Organix.
With Organix's #NoJunk policy these guilt-free biscuits are the ideal tasty Easter treat the whole family will enjoy. Plus, little ones will love decorating these biscuits - especially if they are cut into fun bunny or egg shapes - with extra vegetables no less.
Easter Carrot Oat Biscuits by Organix
Prep time: 30-60 minutes
Cooking time: 10-30 minutes
Makes 10-12 biscuits
Suitable for 10+ months
75g organic carrots
40g cheddar cheese (optional)
100g organic porridge oats (to make oat flour)
75g organic porridge oats
½ tsp garlic powder
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
2 tsp mixed dried herbs
3 tbsp rapeseed oil (or vegetable oil)
juice of ½ lemon
1 beaten free-range egg
To decorate: peas / carrot shavings / chives
1. Peel and finely grate the carrot, using the fine side of your grater. Using the same side of your grater finely grate the cheese.
2. Grind 100g of porridge oats to make oat flour in a blender. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix 75g porridge oats with garlic powder, ground cumin, mixed dried herbs, oil and lemon juice.
4. Add grated carrot, grated cheese beaten egg, and ground oat flour. Blend all the ingredients until they are well mixed. Knead lightly to form a smooth ball. Leave to rest in the fridge for 20mins.
5. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan/ Gas Mark 4 and line a baking tray with baking paper.
6. Place dough on a separate sheet of baking paper. Cover with another baking sheet. Using a rolling pin, carefully spread the dough to an even 0.5cm thickness. Cut out biscuit shapes and place them on baking tray.
7. Bake for around 18-20 mins until slightly golden and firm.
Make sure you use oat porridge and not rolled oats to give these biscuits a finer texture. For a dairy free alternative, you can skip the cheese.